From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Geoff Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 11:17 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SCIART] changing photo format from jpeg to raw or dng

A jpeg (even if full quality) is always in sRGB (the colour space of the cheapest CRT monitor in the 80s) and 8-bit, which can cause problems when printing or displaying graduated tones. I had a guy printing beautiful jpegs beside me in a workshop and he was getting horrible bands in his skies. I always save my photos as 16-bit TIFs in Adobe RGB.
Cheers,
Geoff