For scanning archival images at the museum we use epson scanners at the
museum, the  100000xl and SIlverFast Scanning software. The 10000xl is the
really big bed scanner with a transparency lid but any scanner with good
optical DPI (vs calculated dpi) and a good scanning software should wolk.

Liz Lockett