From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:56 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [SCIART] [EXTERNAL] Re: [SCIART] changing photo format from jpeg to raw or dng

Britt,

Habit mostly.

In a pinch, when I’ve needed to keep file sizes smaller, I’ve used LZW compression. But if something is being archived… technology changes and who knows what compression algorithms will be in the future and if newer programs will read older compressed images. So basically, I try to keep things simple.

As an example, I occasionally come across an old PICT image and those don’t seem to open (thankfully, not anything I need).

Any more, drive space isn’t much of an issue so I don’t need to worry about smaller file sizes.