The Engaged Music Theory Working Group is pleased to announce the launch of a searchable bibliography highlighting music theoretical work that directly engages with issues of cultural politics: race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class, intersectionality, decolonization, and disability. We especially highlight scholarly work that confronts the centralized, historically Eurocentric and heteropatriarchal framing of North American music theory.

This bibliography emerges from a long line of work in our discipline, recently foregrounded by Project Spectrum and the plenaries at both the 2019 annual meeting for the Society for Music Theory and 2020 annual meeting for the Music Theory Society of New York State. We hope that this bibliography facilitates greater engagement with the issues and topics raised by this work.

Our introductory text includes further explanation and introductions. Importantly, we welcome suggested additions to our bibliography via the included instructions.

The bibliography is available at https://engagedmusictheory.com/

Sincerely,

Michèle Duguay (The Graduate Center, CUNY)
Marc Hannaford (University of Michigan)
Toru Momii (Columbia University)
On behalf of the Engaged Music Theory Working Group