    	Hi Marjorie,
It all depends. Most of the time I use jpeg for almost everything. The only time I use png is when I need a transparent background. Png can be set on different levels, 8-bit (if I remember correctly, I’m not behind my pc) is usually enough and most of the time as small as a jpeg.
Mieke

    	Mieke RothHttps://miekeroth.com+31 6 37280899

Van: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> namens Marjorie Leggitt <[log in to unmask]>
Verzonden: woensdag, augustus 19, 2020 6:33 PM
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: [SCIART] website image format Hi all.
I’m working on my new website and am wondering which format to use for graphics (artwork) and photos - JPG or PNG. I understand that PNG is a lossless compression format and so are much larger. I’ve read that .jpeg should be used with photos and .png for graphics. Is this a good rule of thumb?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Marj

Leggitt Design
303.394.0566
See my Flora of North America botanicals at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__beta.floranorthamerica.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=zfg1Vy9WVqO6UBuTK7itD2as5ukExrZ_cDvkBvPisN0&s=obkgw01V8RUIwbwuh2AITLN2Br-4Sat4zah5M60gUOo&e=
Follow me on Instagram | @mcleggitt
Website | science-art.com/leggitt
LinkedIn | linkedin.com/in/marjorieleggitt
Instructor | School of Botanical Art & Illustration, Denver Botanic Gardens

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.gnsi.org_listservList&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=zfg1Vy9WVqO6UBuTK7itD2as5ukExrZ_cDvkBvPisN0&s=LH6fob5WTF_Gdpma8R_hnFJXgbQHcoizCWZa7VufBQ4&e=  name is Sciart-L