So I’m curious the differences between resolution/workability between JPG, PNG, and TIFF. I usually save everything as a tiff before I send it on to become a PDF or something.

Thanks,

Kathy

On Aug 19, 2020, at 11:41 AM, Mieke Roth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Marjorie,

It all depends. Most of the time I use jpeg for almost everything. The only time I use png is when I need a transparent background. Png can be set on different levels, 8-bit (if I remember correctly, I’m not behind my pc) is usually enough and most of the time as small as a jpeg.

Mieke

Mieke Roth
+31 6 37280899

Van: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> namens Marjorie Leggitt <[log in to unmask]>
Verzonden: woensdag, augustus 19, 2020 6:33 PM
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: [SCIART] website image format

Hi all.

I’m working on my new website and am wondering which format to use for graphics (artwork) and photos - JPG or PNG. I understand that PNG is a lossless compression format and so are much larger. I’ve read that .jpeg should be used with photos and .png for graphics. Is this a good rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Marj
Leggitt Design
303.394.0566

See my Flora of North America botanicals at http://beta.floranorthamerica.org/

Follow me on Instagram | @mcleggitt

Website | science-art.com/leggitt
LinkedIn | linkedin.com/in/marjorieleggitt
Instructor | School of Botanical Art & Illustration, Denver Botanic Gardens