Dear colleagues,

This is a final reminder that abstract submissions for the edited collection Key Terms in Music Theory for Anti-Racist Scholars: Epistemic Disavowals, Reimagined Formalisms are due September 30. The volume takes up an anti-racist reimagining of the field of music theory by exploring the ontologies and epistemologies produced by musical formalisms and how these interact with constructions of race, the human, the listening subject, and the natural world. The full CFP can be read here: https://tinyurl.com/y3u86cyk

*Please note: While the CFP reflects our desire that this volume critically investigate the histories of the terms that are predominantly utilized in the field of music theory at present, we have decided to expand the purview of the book to include entries that explore the terminologies associated with musical practices other than Western art music. Situating these two entry formats alongside one another will allow our book to consider how music theory might move towards an anti-racist praxis of cross-cultural engagement by doing justice to other musical ontologies in music analysis. Therefore, in addition to the submissions targeted in the CFP, we welcome submissions from scholars with specialties outside the German art music tradition that speculate about the ethical and philosophical implications of redrawing institutional music theory around music-theoretical vocabularies from other repertoires.

Best wishes,

Tatiana Koike
PhD Student in Music Theory, Yale University
tatiana.koike -at- yale.edu