FYI, I know we all saw the note in the last email Newsletter from the GNSI about not promoting contests, But this is a low bar for participation and the person they pick gets to participate in a very cool project. Apply only if you are interested in the Cause.

This is a call for the annual pollinator poster, it is a bit of a contest situation, but the bar is low with only a sketch and portfolio samples required. Compensation for finished art is only $1000, but if you have a passion for pollinators, you would be in good company with other Science Illustrators that have taken on this project.

Britt

_____________

2021 “Pollinators and Agriculture: A partnership on the land” Poster

Job Advertisement - https://www.pollinator.org/careers

Pollinator Partnership is seeking an artist to render the 2021 Pollinator Poster, this year focusing on “Pollinators and Agriculture: A partnership on the land.” To apply, please send a one-page narrative concept idea with a draft sketch to Savannah Autran at [log in to unmask] by Friday, November 27, 2020.

Background

Birds, bees, butterflies, beetles, bats and other small mammals that pollinate plants are responsible for bringing us one out of every three bites of food. Pollinators also sustain our ecosystems and contribute to natural resources by helping plants reproduce. Unfortunately, they are in trouble. Some species have seen a 90% decline in their populations over the last decade.  Without the actions of pollinators, agricultural economies, our food supply, and surrounding landscapes would suffer.

Our Solution for Sustainability

Pollinator Partnership and its signature initiative the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC) address issues of pollinator health and decline using many resources and projects. We are dealing with a complex issue that does not have a simple solution, but by addressing each area where pollinators interface with people we can make a significant impact in pollinator, ecosystem, and human health.  One way we address this issue is through outreach, education, and action.

Purpose

Each year, P2 and NAPPC, along with a wide range of partners (including federal agencies, non-profits, for-profits, individuals, etc.) design and distribute an educational pollinator poster.  About 100,000 posters are distributed throughout the United States each year. They are one of the most popular outreach material items offered and are distributed for the cost of shipping and handling.

Use

Each year’s poster is unique in size and content, and the posters are enjoyed and used in a wide variety of venues from classrooms, fairs, conferences, and offices, to homes, and educational trainings.

Poster Image – Vision

Promoting healthy pollinators in agricultural settings has a direct impact on the quality and quantity of crops being produced, while simultaneously benefiting the health of humans, plants, and the planet.  Actions for pollinators on farms, like the planting of habitat including buffers, pollinator gardens, hedgerows, and cover crops, improves the health of our air, water, and soil, positively impacting farming operations. Pollinators and their habitat can economically benefit farmers through increased yield, decreased maintenance, and less reliance on chemical inputs. Pollinators in-turn rely on croplands and adjacent natural areas for forage, nesting, and refuge.

We envision this poster being an artistic depiction of the harmony that can be achieved when agricultural landscapes embrace pollinator-friendly management practices.  Such Best Management Practices focus on maintaining healthy populations of both managed honey bees and wild pollinators in farm settings. Best Management Practices include:

Minimizing the use of pesticides to reduce the impact on pollinators, or spraying at night when bees  are less active

Provide bloom of different flowering plants throughout the growing season, especially in early spring and late autumn

Minimizing tillage to protect ground nesting pollinators

Creating designated permanently untilled areas and leaving woody or pithy stems for native bee nests bees

Ensuring water sources are scattered throughout the landscape

Choosing a variety of native plants to act as windbreaks, riparian buffers, and field borders throughout the farm

Planting unused land with temporary cover crops that can provide forage

Let this proposed vision spark creativity, but do not feel limited to these ideas. The most important part of creating any poster is to make it a beautiful work of art that also communicates an idea or behavior that supports pollinator heath. A scientific/naturalistic style is preferred. P2 staff will work with the artist on scientific accuracy and detail. To view past pollinator posters, please visit http://pollinator.org/posters.htm.

Submittal Details

If interested in submitting a poster concept idea for consideration to render the 2021 “Pollinators and Agriculture: A partnership on the land” poster, please submit the below information as one PDF [log in to unmask]:

●       Contact information (name, email, physical mailing address)

●       Background

○       Resume, CV, past projects, etc.

○       2 pages maximum

●       Narrative about the poster concept

○       Method used (digital, traditional, etc.)

○       1 page maximum

●       Sketch of the proposed poster as digital art submitted as a pdf, .eps., or .jpg. (300 ppi at 8.5 x11)

Timeline

A one-page narrative concept idea with a draft sketch is due to Savannah Autran at [log in to unmask] by Friday, November 27, 2020. The final illustration is due by Friday, February 26, 2021.

Poster Size

There is flexibility with the size of the poster, but past posters have ranged from 30 in x 12 in to 30 in x 32 in (including a galley at the bottom of the poster for partner logos).  We suggest using a standard poster size so that the poster may easily be framed.

Compensation

Pollinator Partnership does not make any profit off of the poster and distributes them for free (not including shipping and handling).  P2 works to create the poster each year to help educate the public about the importance of pollinators.  The chosen artist will receive $1,000 upon completion of the agreement and delivery of the product of contracted work for the 2021 poster.

Legal

Pollinator Partnership will own the rights to the final submitted digital artwork.

Questions? Contact Savannah at [log in to unmask] or 415.362.1137

--

Kelly Rourke

Director of Programs and Operations

Pollinator Partnership