Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck pushing back at large scientific
journals' licensing agreements? For example, both PNAS and Science require
transfer to them of all licensing rights (though you retain copyright). I
know there has been discussion on the listserv about transferring all
rights and dealing with CC agreements in these situations. From what I've
read, the choice is to agree to a de facto work-for-hire situation and
charge accordingly, or turn down the job. I'm in a situation now where I
have a mutually agreeable rights agreement with a client but it has become
moot because of the journal they are submitting to. Has anyone had success
approaching a journal and negotiating a different agreement? Or am I out of
luck?

Thanks,
Kathryn

--