It's not too difficult to downgrade from the latest Mac operating systems. I installed Catalina when it came out but I started having difficulty with CC, and of course CS6 won't run on it, or Big Sur, at all. So I downgraded to Mojave, reinstalled CC, and things have worked much better since. I don't know how well CS6 works with Mojave, but I'm pretty sure you can downgrade further if necessary.

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/54622-how-to-downgrade-from-macos-catalina-to-mojave-or-earlier/

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/downgrade-macos-3581872/

With downgrading I don't use any migration assistants or anything. I simply duplicate all of my image and document files onto a separate drive.

Apple is pushing some kind of melding of OSX and iOS. And while there may be some benefits for Apple, for those of us who have to use their software professionally it is a pain in the rear. I'm actually beginning to look at Windows 10. Gasp. I've used it a couple times on my son's machine and it seems to work quite well. But, yeah, I realize that doesn't help with those who have invested so much in Macs.

John