We are excited to announce the third issue of *American Music*, Volume 38.

*American Music* encourages proposals for special issues, forums, or
unusual formats, including exciting examples already in the works. We
invite our readers to view our submission guidelines online (
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.press.uillinois.edu_journals_am_amsubmissions.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=jDOp72UaMmsRcEq5kC6zeSFTCBDCABVi_O1UJDcmJEk&s=GsDGPU4-ktlJcrM-CdN0QRYHiJvVRS6cEGmP6b3Gzrk&e= ) or contact
the editor, Todd Decker (tdecker -at- wustl-dot-edu), with any questions
about submitting to the journal.

*American Music* Vol. 38, no. 3 (Fall 2020)
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.jstor.org_stable_10.5406_americanmusic.38.issue-2D3&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=jDOp72UaMmsRcEq5kC6zeSFTCBDCABVi_O1UJDcmJEk&s=JnlEVYOqbGiw510Zn2IFAM4yul-gsfe5wx_0thX_1Ak&e=

ARTICLES

“Remember those beautiful songs”: Preserving Antebellum Cultural Practices
through Music Collection during the Civil War
Candace Bailey

Ferruccio Busoni, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and the Impact of Anti-
*Germanismus* around World War I
Erinn E. Knyt

Making *Messiah* Swedish: Localities of Music and Identity in Ethno-Tourist
America
Benjamin Teitelbaum

“Make it Funky”: Funk, Live Performance, and the Concept “Genre Works”
Matthew Valnes

BOOK REVIEWS

*Experimentalisms in Practice: Music Perspectives from Latin America*,
edited by Ana R. Alonso-Minutti, Eduardo Herrera, and Alejandro L. Madrid
David F. Garcia

*The Sound of a Superpower: Musical Americanism and the Cold War*, by Emily
Abrams Ansari
Victoria Aschheim

*Hollywood Harmony: Musical Wonder and the Sound of Cinema*, by Frank Lehman
Nathan Fleshner

*Sounds of Crossing: Music, Migration, and the Aural Poetics of Huapango
Arribeño*, by Alex E. Chávez
León F. García Corona