We are excited to announce the third issue of American Music, Volume 38.

American Music encourages proposals for special issues, forums, or unusual formats, including exciting examples already in the works. We invite our readers to view our submission guidelines online (https://www.press.uillinois.edu/journals/am/amsubmissions.html) or contact the editor, Todd Decker (tdecker -at- wustl-dot-edu), with any questions about submitting to the journal.

American Music Vol. 38, no. 3 (Fall 2020)
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5406/americanmusic.38.issue-3

ARTICLES

“Remember those beautiful songs”: Preserving Antebellum Cultural Practices through Music Collection during the Civil War
Candace Bailey

Ferruccio Busoni, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and the Impact of Anti-Germanismus around World War I
Erinn E. Knyt

Making Messiah Swedish: Localities of Music and Identity in Ethno-Tourist America
Benjamin Teitelbaum

“Make it Funky”: Funk, Live Performance, and the Concept “Genre Works”
Matthew Valnes

BOOK REVIEWS

Experimentalisms in Practice: Music Perspectives from Latin America, edited by Ana R. Alonso-Minutti, Eduardo Herrera, and Alejandro L. Madrid
David F. Garcia

The Sound of a Superpower: Musical Americanism and the Cold War, by Emily Abrams Ansari
Victoria Aschheim

Hollywood Harmony: Musical Wonder and the Sound of Cinema, by Frank Lehman
Nathan Fleshner

Sounds of Crossing: Music, Migration, and the Aural Poetics of Huapango Arribeño, by Alex E. Chávez
León F. García Corona