Accademia Musicale Chigiana, Conference 2020

RE-ENVISAGING MUSIC: LISTENING IN THE VISUAL AGE

1-12 December 2020 (pre-recorded papers online)
10-12 December 2020 (live sessions)

Music and images, seeing and hearing have always been inextricably linked.
Even when more autonomous concepts of music developed at various times
through the centuries, they arguably served to keep at bay the ever-present
visual dimensions of the act of listening. When we listen to music, do we
just listen? When we see a painting, or anything else, do we just watch?

The last few decades, however, have witnessed the advent of an ever more
pervasive visuality. From the development of technology to social media to
special effects, seeing is foregrounded like never before. What does this
mean for music? How do music’s materialities answer to the materialities of
visual objects and arts? Do these new developments affect our listening and
performance experiences? What categories are particularly useful to explain
the connections between musical and visual domains? How are different
musical traditions, from “classical” music and opera to jazz, popular and
folk music being re- envisaged?

The aim of the conference "Re-envisaging Music: Listening in the Visual
Age" is to explore the new scenarios created by these questions and how
they inevitably change the dimension of SPECTATORSHIP, the way we associate
music with SITES of performance, how the BODIES of the performers act, the
act of listening, and how we understand TRADITIONS and MOVING IMAGES.

The program is available at the following link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__journal.chigiana.org_conference2020_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=CoN5EG0-CN-8POkcu1jzluLTCS0N8XI6hrxyxpEDvDw&s=dvsKA7XX4F9gA1NGbG3J-qGtWEyITo6fW8cuJiMx9P8&e=

Pre-recorded videos of the individual papers are available on CHIGIANA
DIGITAL, the digital platform of the Accademia Musicale Chigiana.

Access to CHIGIANA DIGITAL is free but it is necessary to register at the
following link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__digital.chigiana.org_sign-2Dup-2Dchigiana-2Dconference-2D2020_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=CoN5EG0-CN-8POkcu1jzluLTCS0N8XI6hrxyxpEDvDw&s=q0zgGzwkgZ8gRWvTdJLfq7P-cnWGx46LFd6IGuk2UP0&e=

The live sessions will take place on Zoom and will include discussions with
the authors of the papers and the presentation of the keynote speaker. It
will be possible to post questions in advance. The live discussions will
also be accessible from the CHIGIANA DIGITAL.