https://www.amazon.com/AccessoryBasics-Microphone-Smartphone-Swivel-Samsung/dp/B01M7RE39O/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=phone+holder+for+microphone+stand&qid=1607123063&sr=8-5

One such solution, but there are others. I have a mic floor stand with a boom arm. So I could put the mic stand at my left or above my work, for example, and extend the boom arm over to my work, adjust the angle, etc.

On Dec 4, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Griswold, Britt (GSFC-279.0)[LUSA Associates] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I like the microphone stand idea. It is a clean simple device, if you can find a phone mount to go on the end.

Or a desk arm and a ballhead joint:

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, December 4, 2020 at 5:28 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [SCIART] [EXTERNAL] Re: [SCIART] webcam advice please

Hi Marj et al.,

Thx for this info!

I was okay with the quality of the iPhone with EpocCam, I thought it was good (in my case), but the lag was unbelievable. Thankfully I tested it so didn't subject any students to it.

I have a gooseneck stand, but it’s very stiff and hard to adjust, especially on the fly. The manufacturer recommends looping the neck to help make a stable mount. This effectively shortens its range so it wasn’t much use to me. I am experimenting with an “elbow” mount - kind of like a desk lamp that clamps to the table. But I have a weighted base so I can move it around more. It does adjust nicely but not smoothly and is a bit cheap.

I’ve been considering some clamps that will clamp onto microphone stands (I have a spare), and allow you to mount a camera. This would have the advantage that the mic stand sits on the floor and wouldn’t shake with the table. Haven’t tried it yet.

Question for you… what is the advantage, for you, of the document camera, as opposed to a webcam?

I have a unique problem, given that I’m presbyopic. I work with my face really close to my work, so I can focus. Otherwise it is blurry and I can’t accomplish much. This can block a camera intended to show a close-up of the work being done. For teaching via Zoom or whatever, I’m going to have to layer reading glasses over my regular glasses or find some other work around. This can be an issue, even in the classroom, so if I’m measuring as part of a demo, I always warn students about my vision.