Non-NU Email
Thanks, Britt, for your response. That’s a really good question.

“Speed Drawing with Toys” is strictly observational… and under some duress. In that sense, it’s an exercise designed to get participants out of their heads and silence the “inner critic”. Mainly a warm-up observation exercise.

The 2nd and 3rd posted activities (”Descriptionary", and "Reverse Pictionary") are exercises in observation, cognition, and critical thinking. They use verbal and visual challenges to inspire more accurate “seeing” and improved word skills through note taking.

The 4th activity, “Leaf Comparison”, however, is more specific to the life sciences. So in that activity description, we do list in the introduction several applicable “Crosscutting Concepts” from the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) for science teachers and some “Techniques & Applications” from the Visual Arts Standards of Learning (VASL) for art educators. And there’s no reason why these two groups can’t partner. Both groups of standards teach valuable lessons in observation and critical thinking and would benefit all students..

Our first contributed activity, #5, “A Lemon of a Lesson”, is also an exercise that requires careful, accurate observation to be able to complete the activity successfully. This one was submitted by an Associate Professor of Science Education in the Department of Teacher Education & Learning Sciences. You’ll note that here, too, his lesson is strictly one of observation and accuracy...

… and accuracy is the undercurrent for all of our exercises.

So in these first few observation challenges, the NGSS and the VASL are not always addressed directly. While it’s important to make sure teaching tools dovetail nicely with the teaching standards, it’s also a balancing act: activities must be engaging for the students as well as useful tools for the teacher.

We were approached in the past few days by other interested contributors that would also directly address teaching standards. We’re always open to more ideas!

- Sally