Non-NU Email
This is inextricably linked to the question 'what are the internal dimensions of drawers used in collections' and the two need to be asked together. 

In NHM London we use three sizes of drawer: 'standard lepidoptera' and 'standard other orders' (because leps are essentially 'landscape' while most other insects are 'portrait', and thus the leps get a drawer that is wider than long, while other orders get a square drawer- ). 

The third size is called 'Rothschild' and is used for large leps, saturniids, birdwings, morphos, sphingids- it is also more-or-less square and very large format

I can supply exact dimensions, but not right now



Maxwell V. L. Barclay
Senior Curator in Charge
Insects: Coleoptera 
Department of Life Sciences
Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD
T: 0207 942 5911
M: 07766331806
[log in to unmask]

My recent TEDx talk at the Royal Albert Hall is now online:

Twitter: @Coleopterist 
Facebook: 'Friends of Coleoptera'

Flickr: see our photostream for the best images of NHM beetles


From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Chris Grinter <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 03 January 2021 22:13
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: which unit tray sizes are used in which collections?
Non-NU Email
Hi David,

Great question, letís crowdsource this into one location!

Once we polish this up we can add to the ECN website.


Christopher C. Grinter
Collections Manager of Entomology, California Academy of Sciences
President, Entomological Collections Network
Assistant Secretary & Asst. Treasurer, The Lepidopterists' Society

55 Music Concourse Drive
San Francisco, CA 94118
[log in to unmask]
office: 415-379-5320

On Jan 3, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Maddison, David <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Non-NU Email
Hi ECN folk!

I am working on sending back some borrowed material, and it makes sense for me to send things back in the same size unit trays used by the collections to which the material is being returned.  Because some of the material has been in my care for long enough, in some cases the sands of time have obscured the original unit trays the material was sent in. 

My question:  Is there a list anywhere of the unit tray sizes used standardly in various collections?  Obviously Cornell uses Cornell, the Cal Acad uses Cal Acad, and the USNM uses USNM, but others?  I remember a few of them, but if a list exists relating collection to the unit trays they use, I'd love to see it!  


David R. Maddison
Harold E. and Leona M. Rice Professor in Systematic Entomology 
Director, Oregon State Arthropod Collection
Department of Integrative Biology
3029 Cordley Hall
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR  97331   USA

[log in to unmask]

(541) 737 2834