Non-NU Email

The apparent diversity of entomological pin manufacturing in the Czech Republic has been a mystery for years.  So I asked some Czech colleagues if the Czech Republic is really a hot spot for the evolution of this diversity, or is there really just one guy behind all the pins?  Some answers from them:

There is a long tradition of insect pin manufacture in the Czech Republic that has survived even through the communist era. In the 1990ties, there was a dominant company Morpho, but after some disagreements a new company Entosphinx split from it and over the time Morpho ceased to exist. We are ordering routinely Entosphinx pins.

Yes, there are several manufacturers. I know at least four companies who are or were producing pins. And this is certainly not a complete list. Apparently it is not that difficult to make the pins, know how is here, salaries here are low hence the price is competitive even if the pins are handmade. There appears to be a genuine manufacturing hotspot for entomological pins in Czechia, with presently at least one company per 3.5M people to serve the population's entomological needs.

Other Czech brands include these:

"Bohemia" brand: https://www.entoprofi.cz/en/taxonomy/term/22

Entochrysis (sold by the eponymous company)

Kostal, sold at www.kabatek.cz.