From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Douglas Yanega <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, January 11, 2021 at 12:19 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Entomological pins -- the diversity hot spot question

Non-NU Email
________________________________

Of the brands discussed, I have used or handled samples of pins from Kostal, Bohemia, Entomoravia/Austerlitz, and Entochrysis, and personally consider the Kostal pins to be the highest quality of these by a very small margin, and the vendor (Petr Kabatek) is very prompt and cooperative, which itself counts for a bit for me. That being said, if we were forced to go with a second choice, I would go for Bohemia or Entomoravia before Entochrysis, and feel pretty happy with either choice. I know a lep collector who has used Entosphinx, and they did not consider them as good as Bohemia.

There *are* several parameters that I take into consideration, focused on consistency of manufacture (sharpness, lengths, head sizes, evenness of enamel), and durability (tip hardness, resistance of heads to solvent exposure, corrosion resistance). Historically, the worst overall I've ever seen were Morpho pins, while Artl's "Elefant" pins were the best.

Peace,

             https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__faculty.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=DwIGaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=896JOqTC5-uNy6W4ZNvKMM_adYhp6CaJOgLeDqb2XJ0&s=rqow5spbCeSSCMaNN_ccjc_CWDxtF0121MSdqQ7PYOA&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__faculty.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=DwMC-g&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=KARUQCrmVBOChZ7O1O4bWF_d1YHH5TjoB5fmx1H6Mog&s=UaP6J_QwqXf5kb4Y_DYyY5gzCgvUXKDk0jcYAoEvx_s&e=>