Non-NU Email

The 1st MIRAGE Symposium will take place at the National Library of Norway,
Oslo, as well as online, 8-9 June, 2021. We are planning for a hybrid
format, where both in-person and online presentation and attendance will be
possible. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.uio.no_ritmo_english_projects_mirage_events_2021_symposium_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=25oaTgJKoerkQBD0C7ZNNr7M5PDyiCT3sV9cKwwlfB0&s=tnzC7_oqP0US9c2udGeKTMNATXmJRQ4k4VOVSYuxYo0&e=

Computer technologies could potentially offer revolutionary tools to better
understand and appreciate music. Although computer music research is a very
active and productive area of research, algorithms are not yet able to
comprehend the full richness of music. This symposium is an attempt to
strengthen the dialogue between computer science and musicology, in both
directions:
- Presenting to musicologists a broad range of research in computational
musicology, in a way that should be accessible to them.
- Collecting from musicologists their particular needs, with the aim to
shape computational musicology research along those lines.

In order to maximise the momentum of this endeavour, the symposium is
articulated into three phases:
1. Before the symposium, an online discussion forum is initiated, aimed at
spurring discussions as well as transdisciplinary collaborations.
2. During the symposium, discussions, proposals and concrete investigations
emerging from the pre-symposium forum will be presented.
2. After the symposium, ideas and investigations will be compiled in the
form of an edited book as well as scientific publications, and the online
community will be developed further.

Research in the topic of computational musicology will be presented.
We will hold a general discussion on the topic of New Perspectives for
Musicology: Transcending musicology’s capabilities through the development
of new computational technologies specifically tailored to its needs.
Suggested topics are, tentatively:
• Maximising the informativeness of music visualisation
• Retrieval technology tailored to musicological queries
• Unveiling music intertextuality (detecting interesting correspondences
between or within pieces of music in a given catalogue, in an unsupervised
way)

Musicologists are welcome to actively participate in the symposium, and, to
begin with, in the discussions during the pre-symposium phase. This will be
an opportunity for musicologists to express their needs, suggestions and
perspectives. The objective is to foster discussion and potential
collaborations.

Please subscribe to the MIRAGE newsletter to get updated about the
symposium:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sympa.uio.no_ritmo.uio.no_subscribe_mirage-2Dinfo&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=25oaTgJKoerkQBD0C7ZNNr7M5PDyiCT3sV9cKwwlfB0&s=vUZQRlkGBM0hPgM_YljPMIEHYWm8u2Lg1dEKd86DYho&e=