Non-NU Email

The Pedagogy Study Group of the American Musicological Society invites
proposals for the 2021 Teaching Music History Conference. Sessions of this
virtual conference will be spread across two weeks (6/14–6/18, 6/21–6/25)
and last approximately one hour per day. Proposals must be submitted by 15
March 2021 at 11:59 PST using the online submission form
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__forms.gle_n4sAq2t5ujT2otKt6&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=_A0njY6GIcfRwlk5j6NHY4A3xswHA4pNakI0cQyeMQI&s=uLETjUYIfW9wgI7BBSq1PyaQlvnAQMVPAJy-loGiX0U&e=

We invite proposals that draw on the scholarship of teaching and learning
to address topics related to teaching music history (broadly defined) at
any academic level (K-12, higher education, community) and the issues its
practitioners face. Although the conference program committee is open to
proposals on any relevant topic, we especially welcome proposals that
address the following:

Online pedagogy, student engagement, and new formats beyond the traditional
classroom;
Teaching and learning in “the new normal” (e.g., what to carry forward
after the pandemic and a year of protests)
Pedagogy or curricular development that explores the blurred boundaries
between music history and other subdisciplines of music studies (e.g.
ethnomusicology, sound studies, music theory);
Perspectives on teaching and learning from disciplines beyond musicology;
Learning to teach courses, topics, and methodologies beyond our expertise;
Positioning music history within the curriculum and drawing connections
among courses (e.g., core and elective);
Strategizing meaningful conversations about curriculum with colleagues and
administration;
Rethinking and reframing the relevance of music history within and beyond
the university, college, or school of music; and
Perspectives on teaching and learning from outside the United States.

Proposed presentation formats may include:
traditional papers (20 minutes) and teaching demonstrations (20 minutes)
[250 word proposal]; lightning talks (5-7 minutes) [150 word proposal];
panel discussions (30-60 minutes) and creative sessions/workshops (30-60
minutes) [500 word proposal]. The Pedagogy Study Group encourages panel
organizers to bring together panelists with diverse backgrounds,
experiences, and perspectives.

Drawing on the guidelines for proposals for national meetings of the AMS,
all proposals should represent the presentation as fully as possible. Any
proposals submitted after the 15 March deadline will not be considered.