Non-NU Email

Dear Colleague,

We are writing to welcome abstracts for an edited collection published on
the musical culture of William Byrd to commemorate the 400th anniversary of
his death in 2023. The collection, co-edited by Samantha Bassler, Katherine
Butler, and Katie Bank, will feature 10–15 essays dealing with the state of
Byrd studies in the 21st century. We are hoping to attract both established
and junior scholars of Byrd’s music and early modern English culture, with
topics that engage with the evolution of Byrd research since 1923 and also
newer trends in scholarship such as digital musicology and public
engagement. Other topics we would like to include:

Byrd in 1923 vs Byrd in 2023
Byrd and Historiography
Performance practice
New research in Byrd’s religious music
New research in Byrd’s recreational/domestic music
Byrd in the contemporary English imagination
Byrd and Antiquarianism
Byrd in the Public Eye
Byrd and Popular Culture
Byrd in the Digital Age
Byrd as Interdisciplinary Subject
Literary Byrd
Socio-cultural approaches to Byrd and his world

Since the timeline is coming up rather quickly, and we would very much like
to meet a 2023 publication deadline, the essays would be on the shorter
side (ca 5,000–7,000 words) and would need to be submitted by early fall
2022 for a publication by mid-2023. If you are interested in participating,
we ask you to submit an abstract of approximately 300 words, detailing the
topic, methodology, and argument for your article by 1st March 2021. Please
submit your abstract to Samantha Bassler at s.e.bassler -at- merton.oxon.org
.

If there are other Byrd events or collections already in the planning
stages, we would very much like to be involved and to help support the Byrd
scholarly community as we bring attention to this important anniversary. We
were also hoping to put together a concert and a conference that relates to
any work that is being published on Byrd, and to coordinate sessions at the
Medieval and Renaissance Music conferences in 2021, 2022, and 2023.

With very best wishes,

Samantha Bassler, Katherine Butler, Katie Bank
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1EpQZE5VSUS32O8y-5FipRgZvaTr6iFbvG3lner9Y8aQkI_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=9eqoaPsaesLzRJEPBTvGUnDwWBxby2kr9BJEsqjIthE&s=-UVCd7pFmfFOwIOh6Z2UI8lKdYSIkeeeyBl1RUCXsx4&e=