The Music and Media (MaM) Study Group of the International Musicological Society (IMS) invites proposals to its 12th annual conference. Due to Covid-19, the conference was postponed last year. Cleveland State University and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will now host a virtual meeting on June 10-11, 2021.
We welcome proposals that examine the theoretical and practical implications of pre-existing music in a variety of screen media-with special emphasis on cinema, music videos, and digital technologies. We encourage scholarship from a wide range of interdisciplinary approaches-musicology, film studies, ludomusicology, composition, etc.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- The definition of pre-existing music in screen media; What is pre-existing music? What are the specific characteristics of pre-existing music?
- Pre-existing music and socio-cultural representations in cinema
- Pre-existing music, cultural coding and "recodification" in specific cinematic contexts
- Pre-existing music and intertextuality
- Re-appropriation of pre-existing music in screen media
- Pre-existing classical, jazz, and popular music in screen media
- Pre-existing music in video games and non-fictional cinema (documentary films, television)
- Pre-existing music vs. commissioned music
- Pre-existing music and auteur cinema
- Licensing of pre-existing music for film, television, and other media.
- Pre-existing music, post-existing music, and cinematic listening
Keynote speakers: Carol Vernallis (Stanford University) and James Buhler (University of Texas at Austin).
Deadline: April 15, 2021. Participants will be notified by May 15, 2021.
Each speaker will have 20 minutes for the paper plus 10 minutes for discussion. Proposals should be for papers that have not been previously presented or published. Submit 250-word proposals with a brief bio to eboczkowska -at- ysu.edu
A fee will be charged for conference attendance. IMS members will get a discount.
Carol Vernallis, Stanford University
James Buhler, University of Texas at Austin
Chloé Huvet, École Normale Supérieure de Lyon
Tobias Pontara, Gothenburg University
Emile Wennekes, Utrecht University (chair of MaM)
Ewelina Boczkowska, Youngstown State University (co-organizer)
Jason Hanley, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (co-organizer)
Michael Baumgartner, Cleveland State University (co-organizer)