The Department of Music at the University of California, Davis invites applications for a full-time post-doctoral position in ethnomusicology. The appointment is for one year.
The position is funded through the Henry Luce Foundation. The project, “Toward a music history of the Indonesian archipelago,” has two overall goals: (1) to consolidate and corroborate existing evidence about the musics of the Indonesia archipelago, and (2) to mine a hitherto underutilized resource: documentation, in assorted media, from Christian missions that took root in many parts of the East Indies in the colonial era.
The post-doctoral scholar(s) will (1) identify, procure, and examine mission archival data for information about musics in the Indonesian archipelago together with the project’s principal investigators, Anna Maria Busse Berger and Henry Spiller; (2) help organize and participate in one or both of two international conferences, to be held in Davis (November 2021 and November 2022) that will invite scholars to share research related to music history in Indonesia and Christian missionaries’ musical activities in Indonesia; (3) pursue the post-doctoral scholar’s own research. The position comes with $2,000 of research/travel funding.
The post-doctoral scholar may be eligible to apply for teaching position(s) at UC Davis during their term, which would result in a salary increment.
• Open date: March 1, 2021
• Last review date: May 31, 2021
• Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
• Final date: June 20, 2021
• Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled. The position will remain open until filled.
JOB LOCATION: Davis, CA
Submit CV, application letter, statement of contributions to diversity, and three letters of recommendation to: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/JPF04006
for guidelines about writing a diversity statement and why one is requested.
HOW TO APPLY
• Create an ApplicantID
• Provide required information and documents
• If any, provide required reference information