Non-NU Email

Thanks, Fiona, et alis!

I did some quick research on some comments in this thread, just cuz I was
curious.

It appears that Photoshop CC prints in RGB, especially since most inkjet
printers accept RBG inputs.  RBG is also used for monitors.  When sending
work to a process printer (like, a real printer) one can change the work to
CMYK as the very last process before sending the work off.  That said, many
printers accept RBG documents, as their equipment can convert RGB to CMYK
in their RIP (raster image processor.)  Of course, a particular client may
request CMYK, and the conversion can be done in Photoshop CC.  It is also
strongly suggested to do editing in RBG, as doing so in CMYK can mess with
the printer's CMYK processing.  Below is info from Adobe......ado

"Even when you are creating documents for a CMYK offset press, the best
practice is to work in an large gamut RGB editing space (with Proof Setup
on and set to document CMYK), and then make the conversion to CMYK later in
the workflow when the actual press profile is known. A color managed
conversion to the final press profile can happen in Photoshop, but the same
conversion can happen on an export to PDF from the page layout, or from the
printer’s RIP.

"There are a number of problems editing in a CMYK space. The black
generation, gray component replacement, gray balance, and total ink amount
required by specific press conditions are built into a CMYK profile—all of
which could be ruined with color corrections after the conversion to CMYK.
Also, layer adjustments and Blending modes don’t work well in CMYK—it can
be easy to exceed total ink limits when blending colors."

In the case of my red over black from an inkjet printer, I doubt it had to
do with a CMYK overlay.  It was just the printer doing it's own thing, just
to make sure it got noticed.  :)

Thanks again!
BAB