Non-NU Email
Thanks, Fiona, et alis!

I did some quick research on some comments in this thread, just cuz I was curious.

It appears that Photoshop CC prints in RGB, especially since most inkjet printers accept RBG inputs.  RBG is also used for monitors.  When sending work to a process printer (like, a real printer) one can change the work to CMYK as the very last process before sending the work off.  That said, many printers accept RBG documents, as their equipment can convert RGB to CMYK in their RIP (raster image processor.)  Of course, a particular client may request CMYK, and the conversion can be done in Photoshop CC.  It is also strongly suggested to do editing in RBG, as doing so in CMYK can mess with the printer's CMYK processing.  Below is info from Adobe......ado

"Even when you are creating documents for a CMYK offset press, the best practice is to work in an large gamut RGB editing space (with Proof Setup on and set to document CMYK), and then make the conversion to CMYK later in the workflow when the actual press profile is known. A color managed conversion to the final press profile can happen in Photoshop, but the same conversion can happen on an export to PDF from the page layout, or from the printer’s RIP.

"There are a number of problems editing in a CMYK space. The black generation, gray component replacement, gray balance, and total ink amount required by specific press conditions are built into a CMYK profile—all of which could be ruined with color corrections after the conversion to CMYK. Also, layer adjustments and Blending modes don’t work well in CMYK—it can be easy to exceed total ink limits when blending colors."

In the case of my red over black from an inkjet printer, I doubt it had to do with a CMYK overlay.  It was just the printer doing it's own thing, just to make sure it got noticed.  :)

Thanks again!
BAB