Non-NU Email

I would also point out that the library example given is good on certain points, but does not recognize the fact that we seldom (if ever) need to cite a specific copy of a book/reference.

So, yes, the library likely has a specific identifier for each and every copy of every book/reference they have, and when they get a new book, the slap a barcode tag or mag strip into the book so they can manage their inventory.  But that unique ID is again, likely local (or regional to a consortium of libraries, not universal).   This works because end users typically don’t need to refer to a particular copy of a book,

eg., "Copy 3 of 'To Kill a Mockingbird' housed at Centerville Public Library, branch 2”.  If you did need t cite a particular book in a particular library (perhaps it has hand written marginalia by a famous person, or was checked out on a particular date and is evidence in a murder)…you’d find yourself in much the same problem as insect specimen records… you ‘have’ a way to cite it, but it’s simply not going to have a universal GUID, and certainly not one that is guaranteed to be persistent/resolvable over time.

-C

Dr. Christopher Marshall, Curator
Oregon State Arthropod Collection
OSU Department of Integrative Biology