Non-NU Email

Hi, Greg, and all,

I very much argued in favor of some methods combination, and you seem to
agree in the end, if I got that right:

"This exchange has stimulated me to think that an endeavor that needs to be
undertaken is to enter ABM, equational systems, computation systems, and the
like each into a SFM in order to articulate missing components of each and
to compare similarities and differences. That is, make those approaches the
problems to be defined and analyzed with the SFM."

I do not see that ABM necessarily carries a particular set of assumptions,
and namely not necessarily neoclassical mainstream ones. But I agree that
ABMs can easily lead to any "measurement without theory". But a number of
institutionalist young scholars have already shown that it can be fruitfully
used in institutionalist research.

So, my suggestion was: starting from the safer ground of a SFM for some
defined problem setting, we should try in future institutionalist
network/matrix research to fill in proper ABM algorithms for parts of the
SFM accessible this way, i.e. computable. But not just to show their
shortcomings but to constructively qualify the SFM research.

best,

wolfram.