Non-NU Email

Dear all

With apologies for cross-posting, please see our notice on a collaborative
edit-athon below.

The Sound of Music is a collaborative endeavour between the KU Leuven, the
Alamire Foundation and McGill University, which aims to bring chant
repertoire to life through digital technology. Using optical character
recognition (OCR) and optical music recognition (OMR), we seek to make this
repertory accessible to chant scholars, musical analysts and digital
humanities scholars.

As part of this endeavour, we are embarking on an initial step to index the
Tsgrooten Antiphoner’s texts on CANTUS, a database for Latin ecclesiastical
chant based at the University of Waterloo. The Tsgrooten Antiphoner,
commissioned for the Abbey of Tongerlo in 1522, is an invaluable source of
plainchant repertory for the Praemonstratensian liturgy in the Low
Countries. Having been digitised by Ghent University Library in 2011, this
magnificent and important manuscript is now available for scholars to view
from the comfort of their screens, a means of access that is as important
as ever in this current age!

We want to make the fruits of our project’s research as available as
possible to the wider musicological community. We therefore plan to
organise a collaborative drive to get the antiphoner fully indexed on
CANTUS this summer.

Are you interested in taking part, or do you have students who are budding
chant scholars?

There is no set amount of time that you need to set aside. We would be
grateful for as much or as little time as you wish to contribute!

What’s in it for you:

Experience in using CANTUS
A guidance session and resources
Updates on project developments
Credit in project publications and on the CANTUS website
The chance to meet other chant scholars
An invaluable contribution to the academic community

If you are interested in taking part—or know of anybody who might be—please
take two minutes to fill out this Google Form (
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_forms_d_e_1FAIpQLSelFP9jzcf3-5FwWYuDzOgjNW1qSBHlZLcN-2DJk9nIBnjV5kzeUg_viewform&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=yeKSr8PhhwAqtWBeI4i3l5vXLCdqu0qILAPw0AFmgdY&s=uuvJqA8TBWUrenesUFwJimiDxEwOOMQXdT9bFw_1Vcw&e= )
before 23 May 2021. If you have any questions or queries, please feel free
to get in touch.

--
THE SOUND OF MUSIC: Innovative Research and Valorisation of Plainchant
through Digital Technology

FWO-SBO: S005319N

Director: Prof. David Burn
Henry T. Drummond (henry.drummond -at- kuleuven.be)
Nicholas W. Bleisch (nicholas.bleisch -at- kuleuven.be)