Non-NU Email
Dear all

With apologies for cross-posting, please see our notice on a collaborative edit-athon below.

The Sound of Music is a collaborative endeavour between the KU Leuven, the Alamire Foundation and McGill University, which aims to bring chant repertoire to life through digital technology. Using optical character recognition (OCR) and optical music recognition (OMR), we seek to make this repertory accessible to chant scholars, musical analysts and digital humanities scholars.

As part of this endeavour, we are embarking on an initial step to index the Tsgrooten Antiphoner’s texts on CANTUS, a database for Latin ecclesiastical chant based at the University of Waterloo. The Tsgrooten Antiphoner, commissioned for the Abbey of Tongerlo in 1522, is an invaluable source of plainchant repertory for the Praemonstratensian liturgy in the Low Countries. Having been digitised by Ghent University Library in 2011, this magnificent and important manuscript is now available for scholars to view from the comfort of their screens, a means of access that is as important as ever in this current age!

We want to make the fruits of our project’s research as available as possible to the wider musicological community. We therefore plan to organise a collaborative drive to get the antiphoner fully indexed on CANTUS this summer.

Are you interested in taking part, or do you have students who are budding chant scholars?

There is no set amount of time that you need to set aside. We would be grateful for as much or as little time as you wish to contribute!

What’s in it for you:

Experience in using CANTUS
A guidance session and resources
Updates on project developments
Credit in project publications and on the CANTUS website
The chance to meet other chant scholars
An invaluable contribution to the academic community

If you are interested in taking part—or know of anybody who might be—please take two minutes to fill out this Google Form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSelFP9jzcf3_wWYuDzOgjNW1qSBHlZLcN-Jk9nIBnjV5kzeUg/viewform) before 23 May 2021. If you have any questions or queries, please feel free to get in touch.

--
THE SOUND OF MUSIC: Innovative Research and Valorisation of Plainchant through Digital Technology

FWO-SBO: S005319N

Director: Prof. David Burn
Henry T. Drummond (henry.drummond -at- kuleuven.be)
Nicholas W. Bleisch (nicholas.bleisch -at- kuleuven.be