Non-NU Email

Registration Open: Oxford Conducting Institute International Conducting
Studies Conference, 25-26 June 2021

Registration link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.music.ox.ac.uk_events_conferences_ociconducting-2Dstudies-2Dconference_registration_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=15zExxVhAW7V_4TVWKBYEaau4pmvlBcatGcS5zur01g&s=aB7OBgS0qsH9hxwL2mwg8JFi0Mn-AFxY_xMbrsnhDN8&e=

OCI ICSC 2021 is the 4th biennial conference bringing together researchers
and practitioners to generate interdisciplinary dialogue and promote
further development in the field of conducting studies research. This
year’s conference is entirely online and will host over 40 speakers from
across the globe. Topics covered will include: historical perspectives on
conducting practices, conducting and ensemble pedagogy, issues of gender
and race in the conducting profession, empirical and philosophical
approaches to conducting gesture research, ensemble leadership, repertoire
programming and critical perspectives on interpretation, archival research
into score marking, and musicians’ (including conductors!) wellbeing. In
addition to the range of talks, there will be many opportunities for
networking and discussion between delegates.

Invited speakers:
• Margaret Faultless (Leader, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment) 'In
conversation with Cayenna Ponchione-Bailey about Leaders/Concertmasters and
leadership'
• Maria Badstue (Danish conductor and founder INDK Symphonic Collaboration)
'Conductors’ Responsibilities, Intercultural Collaboration and Classical
Music in a post-COVID World'
• Peter Holman (University of Leeds) 'Behold I tell you a mystery: How
Handel and his Successors directed Messiah, and Why it Matters Today'

Special panel discussion free to everyone (registration for full conference
not required):
• ‘How Do We Build a Bigger Table?’ An open conversation about race, racism
and the conducting profession led by Stanford Thompson (Play On Philly)
• Panellists include Jeri Lynne Johnson (Black Pearl Orchestra), Leslie
Dunner (Interlochen Center for the Arts), Alexander Douglas (ADM
Productions/ British Forum for Ethnomusicology), and Yi Yun Soo (Royal
Welsh College of Music and Drama)
• To register for this panel discussion ONLY please go to:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__oxford.onlinesurveys.ac.uk_how-2Ddo-2Dwe-2Dbuild-2Da-2Dbigger-2Dtable-2Da-2Dopen-2Dpanel-2Ddiscussion&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=15zExxVhAW7V_4TVWKBYEaau4pmvlBcatGcS5zur01g&s=uGO8UWwfNVFe5Xry26Hen1vFZ2FAwD4jMXNrCRf-VUw&e=

Conference committee: Dr Cayenna Ponchione-Bailey (University of
Sheffield), Dr John Traill (University of Oxford), Professor Fiona M.
Palmer (Maynooth University), Dr Jeremiah Cawley (Loras College) and Dr
Carolyn Watson (University of Kansas). Email: oci.conference.info -at-
gmail.com

For more information:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.music.ox.ac.uk_events_conferences_ociconducting-2Dstudies-2Dconference_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=15zExxVhAW7V_4TVWKBYEaau4pmvlBcatGcS5zur01g&s=Ia4CBEopIDtno3QqmdRbay-TvNRb0sv7fmbKnso48ow&e=