Registration Open: Oxford Conducting Institute International Conducting Studies Conference, 25-26 June 2021
Registration link: https://www.music.ox.ac.uk/events/conferences/ociconducting-studies-conference/registration/
OCI ICSC 2021 is the 4th biennial conference bringing together researchers and practitioners to generate interdisciplinary dialogue and promote further development in the field of conducting studies research. This year’s conference is entirely online and will host over 40 speakers from across the globe. Topics covered will include: historical perspectives on conducting practices, conducting and ensemble pedagogy, issues of gender and race in the conducting profession, empirical and philosophical approaches to conducting gesture research, ensemble leadership, repertoire programming and critical perspectives on interpretation, archival research into score marking, and musicians’ (including conductors!) wellbeing. In addition to the range of talks, there will be many opportunities for networking and discussion between delegates.
• Margaret Faultless (Leader, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment) 'In conversation with Cayenna Ponchione-Bailey about Leaders/Concertmasters and leadership'
• Maria Badstue (Danish conductor and founder INDK Symphonic Collaboration) 'Conductors’ Responsibilities, Intercultural Collaboration and Classical Music in a post-COVID World'
• Peter Holman (University of Leeds) 'Behold I tell you a mystery: How Handel and his Successors directed Messiah, and Why it Matters Today'
Special panel discussion free to everyone (registration for full conference not required):
• ‘How Do We Build a Bigger Table?’ An open conversation about race, racism and the conducting profession led by Stanford Thompson (Play On Philly)
• Panellists include Jeri Lynne Johnson (Black Pearl Orchestra), Leslie Dunner (Interlochen Center for the Arts), Alexander Douglas (ADM Productions/ British Forum for Ethnomusicology), and Yi Yun Soo (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama)
• To register for this panel discussion ONLY please go to: https://oxford.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/how-do-we-build-a-bigger-table-a-open-panel-discussion
Conference committee: Dr Cayenna Ponchione-Bailey (University of Sheffield), Dr John Traill (University of Oxford), Professor Fiona M. Palmer (Maynooth University), Dr Jeremiah Cawley (Loras College) and Dr Carolyn Watson (University of Kansas). Email: oci.conference.info