Non-NU Email
The Scholars for Social Responsibility Interest Group (SSRIG) invites abstracts for 5-minute lightning talks to be presented during our meeting at the SMT 2021. Our meeting will be held online regardless of whether the conference is in person, in order to encourage more participation. https://societymusictheory.org/interest-groups/socialresponsibility

Description
The SSRIG aims to think about how activism and scholarship intersect within and across broad populations of music researchers, scholars, students, performers, educators and other kinds of musical thinkers. Activism looks and feels different depending on where we are in our career and what our career goals are. The purpose of this panel is to create a space for music theory scholars to share experiences, reflect on prior activism, meet with one another and collectively work to increase equity in music theory scholarship.

Talks might address the following questions:
•How do we see the terms “scholar” and “activist” overlap and intersect in music theory? How do they diverge? Do our definitions of “scholar” include “activist”?
•When does teaching function as activism?
•How have institutions (broadly defined) advanced or inhibited our activism? How have scholars who have engaged in activism taken advantage of institutional resources?

We encourage personal narratives and direct accounts of activist work, answering such questions as:
•What are ways you work as an activist? What inspired you to join or start a particular cause or organization?
•How have you been able to leverage the privileges of various career stages toward your goals as an activist?
•How has your prior activist work utilized, or been hampered by, your career stage?
•How have you measured your successes and failures in prior activist work?
•What roles do affects like grief, pain, anger or frustration play in our aspirations toward change? What nourishes hope in all of our work?

We encourage scholars at every stage of their work to submit. We are looking for talks from individuals with a range of career backgrounds, stages and goals. We hope that participants will use this as an opportunity to share ideas and organize with others and that the session will encourage SMT members and friends to link with one another and find new projects.

Submit abstracts of around 250 words by July 1, 2021 to SSRIG2021 -at- gmail.com. Please include any access needs that you might have with your submission. Speakers will be notified of acceptance by the end of July.