Non-NU Email

No offense meant Dorie, hope none is taken!

I think there is quite a place for science illustration programs and
fundamentals, and my experience at UW was and is very valuable to me.  I
would do the same again, and might have chosen YPM had I been on the
opposite coast at the time.  I agree that speaking to instructors and past
students of any program is the best way to find out if it is right for
you.

There are many pathways to science illustration, and I think right now,
these programs do offer technique and specialized knowledge that is hard to
find in other art programs.  No one path is the correct one, as people come
to this field from many different backgrounds - some strong in art, some in
science, some in both, and finding how to get from A to B can be sometimes
stressful without a defined roadmap.  At the time I went to a certificate
program it was exactly what I needed for my career, and my specific program
also offered flexibility and an affordable price tag. It of course could
not offer the same rigor that a full time course commitment would have
given me, but that wasn't what I needed nor wanted at the time.

Disclaimer if not clear in my last email -
I'm not personally familiar with YPM's coursework and offerings, so I'm
speaking more generally from my experience with cert programs, grad
programs, and potential choices out there.  I am not an instructor and can
only speak to my experience and colleagues anecdotally!

Best,
Mesa

Mesa Schumacher, MA, CMI
650-353-1018
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mesaschumacher.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=26O3XLxI4V5ErnEDieSd8DrWYD_USWnvgOdIE6Lahew&s=7j1hvK8in4NAHIt3WJsp1WE0Y86dex9TLOv75w09MJQ&e=