Non-NU Email
I have so many thoughts on this, and on the approaches and mindsets digital art opens up.
I'm actually talking about this at the AMI conference this summer if anyone is attending digitally.

On that question, I think we need a larger sample size.  I think some people do go straight to digital these days and pick up the art fundamentals okay.  I think others don't have those breakthrough moments in which they learn how to correctly mimic form, tone, color, and employ good design principles.  It may be a question of personal aptitude, not media.
I picked up digital pretty early, and definitely was learning to draw digitally as I was still nailing down my drawing fundamentals.  So I was exploring pencil, charcoal, oil,  and acrylic the same time as I was digging deep into photoshop and illustrator, and dipping my toes in 3D.

I think what jumping only into digital can do is paralyze some people, because the possibilities and tools are so endless, that you can become stuck.  If you already have a firm grasp of how to trick the eye using traditional media, and get the image to jump off the page, or read as an object, get the eye to follow the path you want, etc. it can be easier to translate that to digital tools.

All digital tools are someone either inspired by their manual analogs (be they drawing, painting, sculpting, or photography) and it is a joy to mix approaches digitally. But if you don't know any of the pathways from start to finish in a more limiting media, I think it is easy to get lost in the woods, and for a digital piece to all apart.

Another quickie error I see all the time is size issues.  With the ability to zoom, it can be hard to keep in mind what size the piece will be viewed at to the beginner, and either everything is too underdeveloped, or too blurry. For instance - I often see people use too much soft brush, and not bring any points of sharpness and decisive strokes to bring the eye to that point.  The same of overly rich and clashing color, etc.  Starting with analog tools can help force students to go a bit slower, and learn how to manipulate their tools.  A bit like handing someone a powerful weapon with no training, and expecting them to hit the target on the first shot?

That said, I've seen many digital art teacher colleges imitate traditional constraints on students.  For instance, sitting and doing a still life or figure drawing from life with a drawing tablet.  Setting time limits, limited palettes, and drawing subjects from life, not plan, I think can really improve a student's digital drawing and painting much in the way traditional art education can.  Many take tablets into drawing studios to digitally paint and do a great job.

Was reading some thoughts by editorial artist Yuko Shimizo recently, and she said most of her students like to draw with ipad, and many won't do traditional.  When asked why, they say "it's easy!"  She argues art isn't supposed to be easy.  Sometimes she'll spend extra hours on a piece, not because the client won't be pleased, but because she isn't satisfied.  I feel very similarly.  To make good art can after a time become easy, but to make great art sometimes requires hours of problems solving and sometimes painstakingly repetitive mark-making.  Sometimes when I take a digital shortcut to accomplish something (sometimes this has to happen, my pay is directly correlated to my hourly and daily output) I feel the work suffers for it.  Not every piece can be a masterpiece, but if you never put in the hard work, NO piece will be.

I haven't picked up a pencil because I have spent years learning to imitate pencil sketching digitally, so I'm using a shortcut!  But, I didn't take that shortcut until I'd walked the long path many many times, and knew my art wouldn't suffer from it.  That is really what becoming a master artist means I think - when you know how to get from start to finish, and the more often you do it, the more tricks and shortcuts you find that enhance your work or make it quicker while still maintaining the quality of the longest road.  Not saying I'm a master, but I think that's the general idea.

I think it is great for students to learn digital and traditional simultaneously, because both individually take years of practice, and will unlock new insights about each other.  I also would encourage young artists to try out all sorts of media.  When I was struggling to get the degree of "3D" and realism I wanted in my drawings, an art instructor told me to take a figure sculpting course, because that is where the concept really "clicked" for her.  I did, and it did for me as well. My drawing improved immensely! Similarly, I also find the practice of photography really improves my work, and my design.  Cross disciplinary visual arts can really enhance your work, and luck us - digital art has space for them all to be used simultaneously!

So... long answer short.  I'd suggest doing both.  The best digital artists spend a lot of energy trying to get that wabi sabi into their work that makes it feel like it was made by hand, and I think that is hard to do if you've never yourself set out to make something by hand.  The more you know...

Highly suggest reading Britt's thoughts on education as well!  I should say, I sometimes serve as a mentor, and I teach workshops, but I don't work day to day as an art instructor, so there are probably many who could offer more valuable insights into foundational art education of traditional and digital skillsets.  Would love to hear your thoughts art educators!