Non-NU Email

Hi Laura,

Great question! It seems like more clients/job postings are wanting an illustrator/animator in one... quite the challenge for those of us who are mostly 2D artists.

I learned a lot about animation on my own recently using LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com). It’s helpful to follow along with the classes and build the examples so you can learn where all the menus and options are. Unlike a live class you can follow at your own pace and pause while you figure out problems :)

I figured out rather quickly that if you want to allow for user interaction, Adobe Animate is better for that. Flash was phased out but you can create an  interactive using HTML5 Canvas and JavaScript. If you’re not familiar with JavaScript there is a helpful “wizard” that gives a drop down menu of choices to build basic actions.

After Effects is better for pure animation or video with lots of really cool effects, I’m gathering... still learning about AE myself!

Best of luck on your journey,

Fiona

Sent from my iPhone