Non-NU Email

One thing to use in your documentation is that 75% of capacity for
cabinets should be considered "full."  Library people told me they do
this because of the need to shift and add, and that as they get fuller
than that, the costs of moving anything becomes critical.  They don't
even explain it in their proposals, they just define "full" that way.  I
don't have a citation for this, but it sure makes sense to me!  Most of
our collections are beyond this, a few fortunate ones are even less.
But, in presenting space requirements, just start with that as a minimum
for current status needs, and then add to it for future growth.

Mike

On 6/9/2021 7:37 AM, Andy Deans wrote:
> Hi all,
> There is a high likelihood that a new facility for the Frost Entomological Museum will be included in the next capital plan here. I'll believe it when I see it, but they did ask me for details about square footage and types of spaces we'd need. I have a short timeline, as they want these initial details by Friday. I feel pretty good about what we've come up with, but if any of you have been through a similar process before and are willing to share your thoughts I would be very appreciative.
>
> - Are there types of spaces you overlooked and wished you now had?
> - Have any advice regarding how to advocate for the museum during this process?
> - Any reflections on site choice? They're proposing a site a mile off campus, of course (might as well be a thousand miles), but it'd be co-located with several entomology labs. It's still up for discussion.
>
> We're very early in the process, but I want to make sure we are always part of the conversation and that we maximize what we can get. If you've been through this process before maybe you have some lessons for us.
> .

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

US Post Office Address:
Montana Entomology Collection