Non-NU Email

Yes, what Britt said--but add at least another 25% on top, it always takes
longer than you think it will. Medium and substrate (including preparation
process and materials) are major considerations, don't underestimate those.
Other key factors could be whether the piece is temporary vs permanent (if
it's temporary, what will happen to it afterwards), and what hours the
space is available for you to work comfortably without distractions (like
answering onlooker questions). Whatever you decide, it's reasonable to get
a deposit up front and then break down two or three installments for the
balance based on pre-set progress points.

Be clear on the approvals process, too--either they sign off on the
sketch/rendering before work starts, or have predetermined reviews that
could coincide with later payments. Like any other contracted creativity,
managing client expectations is important--often they don't appreciate what
goes into unanticipated mid-process revisions.

Full disclosure: I do detailed large-format charcoal drawings on paper.
While I've worked out a number of quotes for mural installation
opportunities, I've never taken on a job like this because calculations
like the ones above pointed to more potential for things to go sideways
than I was comfortable risking. My apprehension stems not so much from the
charcoal drawings, but instead from misspent youth painting scenery for
theatre productions. Working big is so much fun, but leave yourself enough
wiggle room that it stays fun.

Good luck! All the best, Mlly