From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jennifer Deutscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 11:28 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SCIART] OT: NFTs

Non-NU Email

I looked at it, learned about the environmental impacts, and decided I couldn't go through with it. There are plenty of articles available but here's one easy link: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nft-art-environmental-costs/

Proponents will argue that some currencies are moving towards sustainability, but they haven't done so yet.

Plus like Britt said, there are going to be winners and losers with this—you have to pay $70-100 to mint your work and create this artificial scarcity. Had there not been environmental concerns I might've wanted to mint a piece or two as an experiment, but I don't believe the whole idea of NFTs makes any sense at all from a buyer's perspective. It's all based on people wanting to own rare shiny things, not good art. At least when that happens with collectors offline they have a tangible, actually unique item.

Jenn