The University of Denver's Lamont School of Music invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Musicology, to start in Fall 2022, specializing in music before 1750 and with a secondary theoretical area of specialization in a (sub)discipline such as opera studies, performance studies, popular music, ludomusicology, ecomusicology, deaf and disability studies, film music, jazz, or sound studies. An interest in leading an early music ensemble or regularly bringing applied music experiences into the classroom is preferred. The individual will demonstrate a commitment to inclusive pedagogy.
• Teach a course load of two classes per quarter for a total of six classes per year. Courses include the music history sequence for undergraduate music majors from the Middle Ages through the Classical period, upper division/graduate seminars in the applicant's area(s) of expertise, and Common Curriculum courses for the general student.
• Maintain an active and visible research agenda.
• Mentor and advise students.
• Serve on School of Music and University governance committees as assigned or elected, and/or examination committees for graduate students.
• PhD in Musicology. Applicants with teaching experience who are ABD may be considered. If the PhD is not completed upon appointment, the initial rank/title will be at the Instructor level.
• Strong background in research and writing in any area of scholarly expertise related to music before 1750.
• Commitment to teaching excellence.
• Knowledge and ability to work effectively with diverse populations, with particular implementation of inclusive principles in the classroom.
• Prior college-level teaching experience in Musicology.
• A developed secondary area of specialization in the field.
• Ability to lead an ensemble focusing on some style of early music, or regularly bringing applied music experiences into the classroom.
Review of applications will begin on October 15th, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu
to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Questions may be addressed to the search committee chair, Sarah Morelli: Sarah.Morelli at du.edu