Non-NU Email

SMT History of Theory Interest Group
Business Meeting Workshop (remote)
Friday, Nov. 5, 6–7:30pm (Eastern)

The Search for Medieval Music in Africa and Germany
Distinguished Guest Anna Maria Busse Berger

together with:
Andrew Hicks
Lester Hu
Roger Mathew Grant

The History of Music Theory IG of the SMT is thrilled to announce this
year’s workshop, which celebrates Anna Maria Busse Berger’s *The Search for
Medieval Music in Africa and Germany, 1891–1961: Scholars, Singers,
Missionaries* (Chicago, 2020). Connecting historical music theory with the
history of musicology and ethnomusicology, Busse Berger illuminates the
role of East African music making and the research of German Africanists in
the foundations of our disciplines. Particularly compelling and fascinating
for historians of music theory are the relationships linking Africanist
scholarship with comparative musicology and comparative linguistics. Busse
Berger will be joined by Andrew Hicks, Lester Hu, and Roger Mathew Grant
for questions, commentary, and general audience discussion. We hope to see
you there!