Non-NU Email
SMT History of Theory Interest Group
Business Meeting Workshop (remote)
Friday, Nov. 5, 6–7:30pm (Eastern)

The Search for Medieval Music in Africa and Germany
Distinguished Guest Anna Maria Busse Berger

together with:
Andrew Hicks
Lester Hu
Roger Mathew Grant

The History of Music Theory IG of the SMT is thrilled to announce this year’s workshop, which celebrates Anna Maria Busse Berger’s The Search for Medieval Music in Africa and Germany, 1891–1961: Scholars, Singers, Missionaries (Chicago, 2020). Connecting historical music theory with the history of musicology and ethnomusicology, Busse Berger illuminates the role of East African music making and the research of German Africanists in the foundations of our disciplines. Particularly compelling and fascinating for historians of music theory are the relationships linking Africanist scholarship with comparative musicology and comparative linguistics. Busse Berger will be joined by Andrew Hicks, Lester Hu, and Roger Mathew Grant for questions, commentary, and general audience discussion. We hope to see you there!