Non-NU Email

Not the total number of species discovered every year – we only guess and do not know, because we have no way of keeping track of what is even published.

However, Plazi liberates new species and many other taxa from ongoing publications and older literature, see https://tb.plazi.org/GgServer/srsStats/stats?outputFields=bib.year+tax.status&groupingFields=bib.year&FP-tax.status=%22sp.%20nov.%22&format=HTML

This numbers are based on taxonomic treatments that have been extracted and thus are available. See here a list of 100 for 2021 https://tb.plazi.org/GgServer/srsStats/stats?outputFields=doc.uuid+bib.year+tax.name+tax.kingdomEpithet+tax.classEpithet+tax.familyEpithet+tax.status&groupingFields=doc.uuid+bib.year+tax.name+tax.kingdomEpithet+tax.classEpithet+tax.familyEpithet+tax.status&limit=100&FP-bib.year=2021&FP-tax.status=%22sp.%20nov.%22&format=HTML or if you want to explore a bit further, download all of them https://tb.plazi.org/GgServer/srsStats/stats?outputFields=doc.uuid+bib.year+tax.name+tax.kingdomEpithet+tax.classEpithet+tax.familyEpithet+tax.status&groupingFields=doc.uuid+bib.year+tax.name+tax.kingdomEpithet+tax.classEpithet+tax.familyEpithet+tax.status&FP-bib.year=2021&FP-tax.status=%22sp.%20nov.%22&format=HTML

The Document  UUID is the persistent identifier for each taxonomic treatment of a new species.

Or if you want to explore, find your way through  https://tb.plazi.org/GgServer/srsStats  and discover 200,000 additional new species or new taxa. Most come along with illustrations.

You can contribute and publish your new descriptions so it ends up here, but even better in GBIF https://www.gbif.org/publisher/7ce8aef0-9e92-11dc-8738-b8a03c50a862 to end up as one more treatment article dataset, and thus contributing directly to make GBIF and soon together with COL the reference to turn to ask such questions.

Cheers

Donat

…….

Here is the source:

IISE (International Institute for Species Exploration). 2011. Retro SOS 2000 –

2009: A Decade of Species Discovery in Review. International Institute for

Species Exploration, Tempe, AZ.

http://www.esf.edu/species/documents/sosretro.pdf

Cheers

Frank

Dr. Frank-Thorsten Krell

Senior Curator of Entomology, Editor-in-Chief

Commissioner and Councillor, International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature

Department of Zoology

Denver Museum of Nature & Science

2001 Colorado Blvd

Denver, Colorado 80205-5798, U.S.A.

Phone 303.370.8244

Fax 303.331.6492

https://www.dmns.org/science/zoology/staff/frank-krell/

Meet live animals that manage to thrive in a world where large, strong and fast animals top the food chain in “Survival of the Slowest,” opening Oct. 22.

Conoce en vivo a las especies que logran prosperar en un mundo donde los animales grandes, fuertes y rápidos encabezan la cadena alimentaria en "Survival of the Slowest", que se inaugura el 22 de octubre.