Non-NU Email

Art (or anyone else who works with these programs),

What about color management? Do Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo let you embed ICC color profiles, convert between profiles, and make custom color settings (like setting dot gain, ink limit, GCR, UCR, etc.)?

If they do allow color management, do they include the industry standard profiles like SWOP, US Sheetfed, Toyo, etc. for CMYK work? Since they’re not Adobe products, I wonder if they let you use Adobe RGB (my preferred RGB color space) or if you’re stuck with something like sRGB?

I’ve always been concerned that, if I used one of these non-Adobe products, I’d still have to have the Creative Cloud subscription to do sophisticated prepress work and color management. I have a lot of students who like to work in Procreate on the iPad, but they still have to bring their files into Photoshop to do color management and a few other settings.

As an academic, I get the discounted educational price without having to cancel and renew every year. I also do so much work in Photoshop and Illustrator that it more than justifies the cost. But it would be interesting to explore these alternatives.

Jim

James A. Perkins MFA, CMI, FAMI
Board Certified Medical Illustrator
Fellow, Association of Medical Illustrators

Distinguished Professor and Graduate Director, Medical Illustration
College of Health Sciences & Technology
Rochester Institute of Technology
Center for Bioscience Education & Technology 75-2129
153 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY  14623
W: 585-475-2443

[RIT | Rochester Institute of Technology]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.rit.edu__;!!PvXuogZ4sRB2p-tU!X2mOqw-f2hyi8YE_5sB4EromAn0OmSjCxQQySPPmfS5LrLS_rG8qd8n602zt6dZAn4YqN48$ >