Non-NU Email
Here's my 2 cents:  I've had to diversify my art/illustration career. Since I've always been a teacher, that is what I depend upon for my income, albeit not lucrative, but very valuable for networking. Some of the most interesting people I have met have been my students. I have also worked with scientists for specific commissions but they are sporadic and many of them have been in serendipity situations, i.e. where I have been at the Peabody Museum and found folks who are in need of illustrators. Volunteering in Natural History Museums is a good way to meet scientists and if you have a specialty, to inquire if there is work.
Agreed, artists and scientists are a similar breed. They are inquisitive, friendly, open to new ideas, love minutiae,
and understand each other. I have never had a bad experience working with a scientist.
So my advice, follow your passions and eventually things will happen. Yes it does help to have a stash of $$ while you are pursuing your passion! 😊

Dorie

Dorie Petrochko
Senior Instructor-Natural Science Illustration Program
Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
170 Whitney Avenue
New Haven, CT 06511