Non-NU Email

Elizabeth- yes. I have been noting down the ports and compatibility.
Specifically, for my big monitor I'd potentially be hooking up to the new
laptop (if I go that route) from time to time. I knew about the CD/DVD
issue for some time and was one of the primary reasons I've been delaying
this change. Luckily I still have my desktop Mac (for awhile) that is
mostly my workstation with scanner, DVD reader and printer etc
Brit, thanks for the adapter info too. I am leaning towards replacing the
laptop first since its the one actually starting to fail and then that
should give me enough time to upgrade printer etc...

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 10:23 AM Griswold, Britt (GSFC-279.0)[LUSA
Associates] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Non-NU Email
> ------------------------------
>
> Some peripherals can be transitioned to a new iMac with a simple USB to
> USB-C adapter (Amazon $2-3 each). There is also a thunderbolt to USB-C
> adapter for about $20. A firewire 800 to Thunberbolt adapter could be added
> to get from older hardware.  Drivers can always be a problem when going to
> old hardware.
>

> Britt
>

> *From: *SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <
> [log in to unmask]> on behalf of Elizabeth Morales <
> *Subject: *[EXTERNAL] Re: [SCIART] Advice on Mac purchase
>

> Non-NU Email
> ------------------------------
>
> Just jumping in here briefly. I bought my new iMac a month go. Same
> situation: ten-year-old iMac was having serious issues pointing to a hard
> drive failure. DON’T wait until your old Mac starts to fail. Will make
> migration of data and software to the new machine harder or, as in my case,
> impossible.
>
> I bought the 27”, I could not wait for the new 27" M1, since it won’t come
> out until spring, I believe.
>

> *Keep in mind:*
>
> None of my peripheral stuff worked with the new iMac. Unable to download
> current drivers, and older hard drive cable would not fit the new portal.
> So, the printer, scanner, and external hard drive would not work and needed
> replacing.
>
> Also, the new iMac does not have an internal CD/DVD slot. So, another
> purchase was in order for an external one.
>
> I’m no expert here, so you probably know all about these issues.
>
> Otherwise, the new machine is fabulous, unbelievably fast compared to my
> older model.
>

> cheers
>
> Elizabeth

> instructions at