Non-NU Email

I’ll chime in and say: most of my most rewarding projects were as a volunteer working with some amazing scientists. I DO sell my artwork - not as often as I like, but I did have a great gallery partnership this past year that was good for both of us. (They are closing, unfortunately - another casualty of Covid) I have always had a day job that paid my bills. This way I have some freedom to take on projects - paid or otherwise. My rule about volunteering is this: would I be willing to donate the time/money equivalent in cash to the organization in question? If the answer is yes, then I do. Or… is there an established precedent for this being a ‘collegial sharing’ model, such as the work of the Field Museum’s free online rapid guides? (these are all done by volunteers working lightly with Field Museum staff) I have sold usage rights for some images, which has been nice. And I teach, which supplements sales. But my main income is and always has been from my day job. Before my current position, I worked as a commercial artist in the advertising field, which paid really well. But then everything went digital and I’m not sure that agencies are offering the same pay scale now as back then.

Kathleen Garness