Non-NU Email
Espiritu Santo, an island in the new Hebrides

Get Outlook for Android

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Nathaniel Green <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, February 5, 2022 1:30:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "E. Santo" Locality

Non-NU Email
Thanks to all! The island Espiritu Santo in what is now Vanuatu looks like the place!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espiritu_Santo

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022, 12:21 PM Janzen, Daniel H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
New Hebrides for certain.

On Feb 5, 2022, at 2:04 PM, Nathaniel Green <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Non-NU Email
Hi all,

I've been working on sorting some of the bees in the entomology museum at Washington State University. This morning I came across a label that I can't figure out where this locality is.

The label is on a bee in the genus Thyreus, so the locality should be Africa, Asia, or Australia. Maybe Southern Europe. The bee was collected in 1899 (1999 seems unlikely from the labels) by A.L. Beatty and was in the collection of R.L. Fisher before coming to WSU.

I read the label as:
"E. Santo
New Heb
II-V-99"